Monday, May 14, 2012

What is the Unfuture?

I know I've wrestled with that a bit over the years of doing (and not-doing) this blog.  My creative output is not about just one thing.  I can't write "just horror" or "nothing but sci-fi".  It sounds like life would be so much simpler if I could do that.  But I enjoy the outrageous diversity of the world.  I think everyone has multiple talents, and our society commits a crime of omission by making people think they can do only one thing, or even nothing at all. 

So, this blog is "what I'm into".  I ran an email newsletter a few years back called "Dark Windows" which I think captured it best: an outrageous medley of fiction, poetry, bits from dream journals, and memorable clips from old sources, both fiction and nonfiction.  Why the old sources?  I think it's important to recall that there's more to life than Today.  More than just Now.  Who we are, and our quest for knowledge, is a result of centuries of questions and attempts to answer, and centuries of entertainment and diversion.  Sometimes the clearest philosophical quotes come from fictional villains; and the wackiest fantasies come from bad science.  The lines between fact and fiction are worth exploring, and the lines between reality and delusion should be examined.  Now, I am a strong advocate of facts, and sorting out sense from nonsense.  But I also know we need places to escape to at the end of the day.

That is my mission statement for my Unfuture Chronicle, moving forward.  Why the name?  Because here we are, living in the future (the 21st century), but it seems like nothing has changed ... whenever I watch the news or drop in on a forum, I just hear the same bad arguments you would find in the Middle Ages.  We're in the future, but it's nothing like it was supposed to be.  All those giants of science fiction were right about the gadgets but wrong about humans as a whole.  It's the Unfuture.

I hope you enjoy the thoughts and diversions to come.

No comments: