Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Strikingly odd combinations

Sometimes there are moments when I find myself doing some odd combination of things I never pictured myself doing.  Like hopping off a bus in Eagle, Colorado and running into Wee Willie Wonka's One Stop Shop in the middle of the night.  Or making bead earrings while watching football.  Or helping my wife sell candles at a Humane Society street fair while gusts of wind are ruining everyone's tables -- I ended up calling that event our blowout sale of the year.

Just now, another odd combination: watching a vice presidential debate while wearing a portable heart monitor.  Just gathering some data overnight.  Comically, after spending three weeks on a waiting list for a "loop monitor" to get a week's worth of data, I got hooked up with this 24-hour "Holter monitor" today, and was home for less than half an hour when the doctor's assistant called and said the loop monitor was available.  Those moments of medical comedy are far between.  Last time I was at the cardiologist's office, sitting in the waiting room with a bunch of much older, much sicker people, someone's cell phone went off, and the ringtone was ... "I Feel Good!" by James Brown.  Nice & loud, too.

Anyway, back to some of my more "normal" combinations.  Like playing monopoly online while mapping Phoenician settlements in Google Earth.  Or cataloging stamps with angry talk radio going in the background.  Maybe I'll listen to an MP3 lecture about Newfoundland geology instead.  They have some of the oldest crust on Earth, ya know ...

Strange world out there, in here.

#

2024 note: this was the intro to my newsletter Dark Windows #27, but since that since has been gone for years, I have added it to the flow of this blog.

No comments: